Protect what

you value most!

Did you know - ?

Nearly every day people die and are injured in fires in the UK

Over 75% of fire casualties happen in peoples' own homes, and these can be prevented.

Residential Fire Sprinklers can eliminate the chance that you will die in a fire in the home.


News and Press

Sep 08, 2017

Wolverhampton - Student flat fire stop

At 23:00 hours on Friday 8th September 2017, West Midlands Fire Service received a call to Liberty Heights, a 25 storey student accommodation block in Wolverhampton.

A fire had occurred when a fat pan was left unattended but when FRS personnel attended the flat, the fire had been extinguished by one head on the buildings sprinkler system.

Previously known as Victoria Hall, Liberty Heights was constructed in 2009 and is a reinforced concrete, clad building with an L shaped plan measuring  10m x 20m. It consists of two blocks, the tallest of which is 25 storeys.

FRS personnel were engaged in clear up operations after the event but no fire-fighting action was required

Jul 31, 2017

Bedford - Residential flat fire

Bedfordshire FRS were called to a 5th floor residential flat fire at 23:06 hrs on 31 July 2017. The resident had fallen asleep  leaving a chip pan on, a fire broke out whilst the resident slept,  fortunately the fire activated the residential sprinkler system and the sprinkler head within the kitchen extinguished the fire as well as raised the alarm. 1 female casualty was escorted from the flat by fire service personnel  and handed over to ambulance service.

The fire officer  in charge of the incident  reported that without the sprinkler activation, the whole flat would have been lost and there was a real possibility that the occupant would have lost their life. The sprinkler system was reinstated the following day (01/08/2017).

Jun 02, 2017

Poole - Domestic fire stop

At about 11:30 pm on Friday 2nd June 2017 a fire occurred at a dwelling in Ashley Road, Poole, Dorset when some window drapes were ignited by a lighted candle that had been placed on the windowsill.

Crews from Dorset and Wiltshire F&RS were mobilised but on arrival they found that the fire had been extinguished by a single sprinkler head, located in the room of origin. Their main task was to isolate the water supply to the sprinkler system and assist in remedial action.

The tenant is said to have been able to move back into the property the following day.




Mar 31, 2017

Domestic fire save, Tamworth


 At 01:23 on Friday 31st March, Staffordshire FRS mobilised an Officer and an appliance from Belgrave to a house fire in Medway, Tamworth. Being close to the border with Warwickshire the second appliance and an Officer were mobilised from Polesworth.



The fire was in the lounge on the ground floor caused by a discarded cigarette, which ignited some paper and plastic Tupperware container. The occupants consisted of an elderly couple and their disabled grandson who was 25 years old and bedbound. The property was fitted with working smoke alarms which raised the alarm. The male who was sleeping upstairs heard the alarm and went downstairs where his wife and grandson were still asleep. He took the grandson outside and then came back for the female prior to the arrival of the FRS.



In 2014, a tank fed sprinkler system had been retro fitted by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service after collaborative work with stakeholders. A single sidewall sprinkler head activated and extinguished the fire, leaving crews using 2 BA and a hose reel to ‘dribble’ water on the last few embers. All three occupants were taken to hospital by West Midlands Ambulance for precautionary checks.

 

Dec 13, 2016

Scotland - High school fire stop

Scottish F&RS report that at 11:32 on Tuesday 13th December, a call was received to a fire at the three storey  St Peter the Apostle High School in Clydebank.

 The fire occurred after a student set fire to toilet paper in a cubicle, which ignited the plastic holder and activated one concealed head on the pump and tank fed sprinkler system. This extinguished the fire before arrival of SFRS and contained any fire damage to within the toilet cubicle.

 Though the fire loading was not high, the damage from the acrid smoke produced by the plastic toilet roll holder may have spread further into the building.

 It was noted that the lack of knowledge from the staff on the location of the sprinkler isolation valve led to a delay in isolating the water supply to the sprinkler system causing 2 hours disruption to the school day.