Protect what

you value most!

Did you know - ?

Nearly every day people die and are injured in fires in the UK

Over 75% of fire casualties happen in peoples' own homes, and these can be prevented.

Residential Fire Sprinklers can eliminate the chance that you will die in a fire in the home.


News and Press

Jan 09, 2016

Residential fire stop - Sheffield

A recently installed fire sprinkler system, at a Derby street address in Gleadless, Sheffield, activated following a mobility scooter fire, allowing the elderly resident to escape without serious injury.



The mobility scooter, parked outside the front of the top floor property, burst into flames shortly before 6:00am due to an electrical fault.  The resulting fire then spread to the front of the building causing the front windows to break and allow the fire to spread inside the building.



The fire sprinkler system activated, extinguishing the fire and limiting damage to the front of the dwelling, when fire crews arrived the fire was all ready under control.



The interior of the property was relatively undamaged by this very severe fire.



The fire sprinklers have been retrofitted in the 540 ranch style properties as part of a ground breaking initiative by Sheffield Council to improve fire safety in the properties, supported by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.



The installation of these type of systems is now mandatory in Wales and SYFR are actively promoting the use of this type of protection in all types of buildings to build resilience and safety into our community  




Sep 15, 2015

Sprinkler save - Work House Flat

On 15th September a fire occurred at a flat in a block of 26 incorporated into a former 'work house'.



The vulnerable resident had been smoking in bed and then gone through to the kitchen where he had an epileptic fit. The bed subsequently caught fire due to smoking materials. Nearby residents were alerted to the fire by the alarms. (both Smoke and Sprinklers)

A single sprinkler head operated and fully extinguished the fire before the Fire Brigade arrived. Fire Brigade personnel had to break into the flat to gain access, finding the occupant unconscious in the kitchen following his seizure.

Although somewhat 'shell shocked', the occupier said he was very pleased with the system as, without it, the situation could have been much more serious due to his inability to escape the fire. He was also able to return to his flat following the incident with minimal disruption.

 

Pleasingly, it was noted that the sprinkler installer subsequently received an apology from the person who had tried to talk the Housing Association out of 'wasting their money' on fitting sprinklers into the scheme.




Sep 14, 2015

Croydon domestic fire

On Monday 14th September a fire occurred in the kitchen of a flat in a Croydon flat when a tea towel, placed too near to a toaster, caught fire. The occupier , an elderly gentleman, was asleep in his living room at the time. The sprinkler head actuated in the kitchen area, extinguished the fire and alerted staff via the alarm  system activated by the sprinkler flow switch. Staff who attended managed to safely evacuate the occupant from the smoke filled flat.

London Fire Brigade crews attended and isolated the sprinkler system but there were  no fire-fighting measures required. A sprinkler engineer  attended later that day to replace the head. The home manager, Mrs Christina Sande, remarked that it appears that the sprinklers may have potentially saved this gentleman's life.

Truscott House is an "Extra Care" Sheltered Scheme which is owned by the London  Borough of  Croydon and was the first of six such schemes in Croydon to have been retro-fitted with sprinklers. This was following London Fire Brigade safety visits prompted concerns regarding the number of vulnerable residents in some of the schemes in the Borough.

 This 'save' demonstrates how effective partnership working between FRS and Housing Providers can be in protecting vulnerable occupants, and the clear advantages of fitting suppression systems in such cases.

Nov 14, 2014

Sprinkler save at London apartment


On Friday 14th November a chip pan fire occurred at an apartment block at Waterside Heights, Lewisham, London. The tenant is reported to have tried to move the blazing chip pan but due to the heat was unable to keep hold causing the pan and contents spilled.


Fortunately, one sprinkler head in the room activated and extinguished the fire. Fire damage was limited so that the flat remained habitable and though the tenant was shocked they fortunately suffered no serious injury.


The incident above once again shows, contrary to some understanding, that sprinklers CAN safely and efficiently deal with chip pan fires.





Mar 26, 2014

Sprinkler save: Canalside, Redhill, Surrey:


At about 21:00 on Wednesday 26th March, a fire occurred on a cooking appliance in a ground floor flat of a two storey residential block of 33 maisonettes in Redhill, Surrey.


The fire started while to occupier was melting wax in a saucepan in order to recycle candles. One VK457 concealed sprinkler head, fed by mains water supply operated to control the fire, which was extinguished within an estimated 3 minutes.


About 8 m² of the property was affected by the fire and neither of the two occupants were reported hurt in the incident.


Surrey F&RS attended with one pumping appliance but no fire-fighting action was apparently required.